Meatball and Spaghetti Squash Soup
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken broth
- 24 veal meatballs, fresh or frozen (see recipe)
- 2 cups (500 ml) spaghetti squash cooked and shredded with a fork (about 1/2 squash) (see note for cooking)
- 2 cups (500 ml) lightly packed spinach
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown the onions in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and meatballs and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the squash and spinach. Bring to a boil and adjust the seasoning. Serve with country-style bread.
Cooking a spaghetti squash in the microwave oven Prick the squash several times with a fork and place in a baking dish. In the microwave oven, cook the squash for 15 to 20 minutes depending on its size, or until tender, turning it several times during cooking. Let cool. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Shred the flesh with a fork.