- Place the rice in a bowl and cover with cold water. Rinse the rice gently until the water becomes cloudy. Drain and repeat 4 to 5 times or until the water runs completely clear. Leave the rice in the strainer until it is well drained.
- Place the rice and water in a rice cooker. Close the lid and cook the rice. Spoon the cooked rice in a container. Add the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Toss to coat the rice. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the hot sauce. Set aside.
- For each roll, spread about 125 ml (1/2 cup) of rice on the dull side of the nori, 4-cm (1 ½-inch) from the edge of the narrow side; work with moistened fingers. Flip the sheet for the rice to be on the underside. Spread about 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of spicy mayonnaise in the centre of the sheet. Top with julienne cucumber, overhanging on each side. Add two pieces of crab cake, some carrots and avocado.
- Place on the bamboo mat and roll, starting with the rice-free side of the nori. Compress the roll with the mat, applying uniform pressure.
- Dip the tip of the knife into water and cut the roll into five pieces. Place on a serving platter. Drizzle with hoisin sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Genevieve Everell.