- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to 190 °C (375 °F). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, chives, hot pepper sauce, mayonnaise, and egg yolk. Add the pollock, crab, and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Form into 12 small patties, each about 60 ml (1/4 cup), to make crab cake burgers, or six 125 ml (1/2 cup) large patties to make maki. Refrigerate, if necessary.
- In a bowl, prepare the tempura batter according to the manufacturer's instructions. Place the breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- Brush the patties with the tempura batter and coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the patties, three small or two large at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on the baking sheet. Keep warm if you are making the crab cake burgers or let cool slightly for the maki.
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Genevieve Everell.