- In a large glass dish or in a sealable bag, combine the broth, soy sauce, ginger, mirin, hoisin sauce, sambal oelek and garlic.
- On a work surface, cut the tofu into 3 inches (7.5 cm) long and ½ inch (1 cm) wide strips. Add it to the marinade. Coat well. Cover the dish or seal the bag and refrigerate for two hours or overnight.
- Drain the tofu. Set aside ¼ cup (60 ml) of the marinade for the sauce. In a large non-stick skillet, brown the tofu in the oil on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the reserved marinade. Divide the sauce into 4 small individual bowls.
- In a large serving platter, arrange the vegetables, cilantro, nuts and lime. Serve with the tofu in the centre of the table. Allow each guest to prepare his own nems in lettuce leaves. Serve with the sauce.
Unlike traditional Vietnamese spring rolls, this recipe doesn’t use rice wrappers or vermicelli, but why not add some? Do not hesitate to vary the filling (cucumbers, peppers, bean sprouts) or replace the tofu with chicken.