- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- With the rack in the top third of the oven, preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a food processor, purée all of the ingredients, except for the cheese, until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- With lightly oiled hands, form the tofu mixture into 8 thin patties. Place on the baking sheet.
- Broil the patties for 5 minutes, turning them over halfway through, or until browned. As soon as they are out of the oven, top half of the patties with a slice of cheese.
- Meanwhile, place the buns on a second baking sheet, cut-side up. Toast the buns in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cover the inside of the bun bottoms with some of the sauce. Top with a plain tofu patty, pickle slices and half of the lettuce. Cover with the middle bun layer. Cover with sauce. Top with a cheese-covered patty, onion and remaining lettuce. Finish off with the bun tops.
The tofu patties freeze well.